Thursday, August 21, 2008

How to reduce balsamic vinegar

I'm not sure if you guys use balsamic vinegar (or aceto balsamico as it is also known) but I love to use it when I e.g. eat a salad. When you go to the grocery store there are lots of different ones to choose from but few want to spend several hundred kroner buying Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena which can be age for up to 25 years. If you buy the cheapest stuff you get a balsamic vinegar with a lot vinegar taste but here is one method of making it sweeter and less vinegar tasting. First I bought the cheapest balsamic vinegar I could find....for about 20 kroner (about 4$)


Then I put most of it into a frying pan and boiled it for a while.


And voila...this is what you end up with. A small portion of thick, sweeter balsamic vinegar that is great for using on salads together with good olive oil :-)

No comments: